2011年2月6日日曜日

【生英語】今日の学び_20110206

Face to Face

今日はLanguage Summary 8-9 をまとめてみる。

案外役に立つコラム集。

○Verb patterns
  - We can say start/like/prefer doing or start/like/prefer to do.
    For these verbs the maeaning is the same.
   - In British English, like/love + doing is more common.
   - In American English, like/love + to do is more common.

○Past Perfecrt
  - We can also use for with the Past Simple:
    I lived in German for two years. (but I don’t live there now)

○How long… ?
  - We often answer How long… ? questions with short phreases, not complete sentences:
    How long have you lived here?  Since 2010.
  - We can also make questions in the Past Simple with How long ago… ?
    How long ago did you see him?  About three months ago.

○should, shouldn’t, must
  - We use should to say we think something is a good thing to do.
    You should wait for the houtess to start eating first.
  - We use houldn’t to say we think something is a bad thing to do.
    You shouldn’t ask people howmuch they earn.
  - We use must to give very strong advice.
    You must ask the hostess if you can smoke.
  - We often use I think with should: I think you should go to work.

○Infinitive of purpuse
  - To say why we do something, we often use the inginitive with to:
    ○ I came here to study English.
    × I came here for study English.
    ○ I go to the shops for some coffee.

○Asking about places
  - We use questions with What’s/What are … like? :
    What’s Edingburgh like?  It’s very cosmopolitan.
  - We use questions with Do you like … ?:
    Do you like Edinburgh? Yes, I love it.

○Adjective to describe feelings
  - fed up
    annoyed or bored because you have dome something for too long.
    I’m fed up with my job.
  - calm
    relaxed and peaceful.
    I always feel very calm after yoga.
  - We say a situation stressful not stressing.

○Phrasak verbs
  - We often use well with get on with:
    I get on well with my all my other neighbours.

○First time clauses with as soon as
  - In the main clause we use will/woun’t  + infinitive:
    As soon as I finish this work, I’ll fo to the bank.

○too, too much, too many, too enough
  - We use too, too much and too many to say something is more than we want.
    I try to get home too late.
    He’s got too much work to do.
    I’ve always got too many things to do.
  - We don’t use too to mean very very
    ○ It was really beautiful.
    × It was too beautiful.
  - We use not enough to say something is less than we want.
    She’s not old enough to talk.
    I don’t have enough energy to do anything in the day.
  - We use enough to say womething is the correct number or amount.
    I earn enough to money for the whole family.
    I think this pen is big enough for us.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿